The top 3 movie locations to visit in New Zealand are Wanaka, Matamata and Oreti Beach!
So you’ve seen the movies and now you want to visit the locations! Great idea! Let me tell you a little bit about each location –
The movie starring Oprah Winfrey, Mindy Kaling and Reese Witherspoon, A Wrinkle In Time, was filmed in beautiful scenic and serene Wanaka in the Otago region of the South Island of New Zealand. Parts of The Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit movies were also filmed here.
Surrounded by snow capped mountains, Wanaka is about an hours drive from Queenstown.
A willow tree growing inside the lake is a famous tourist attraction which features in lots of people’s Instagram feeds. Apparently the tree had its lower branches cut by vandals in 2020.
Things To Do In Wanaka
- Climb alongside the highest waterfall in the world, Twin Falls
- Go on a tandem paragliding flight from Treble Cone Mountain down to the lake.
- Go skydiving
- Climb and abseil through the canyons
- Go on a wine tour
- Check out the famous willow tree in the lake and feed your Instagram
- Check out the lavender farm
- Visit Mount Aspiring National Park
- Go on a bike trail at Cardrona Bike Park
- Go fishing on a charter boat
- Hire a kayak or paddleboard and go on the lake tour
- Go for a horse trek
- Go on a helicopter scenic flight and land on a glacier
- check out these local attractions – PuzzleWorld, National Transport and Toy Museum, Warbirds and Wheels.
As you can see, there is plenty to do in beautiful Wanaka! For more Wanaka information, click this link https://www.lakewanaka.co.nz/
Another great place to visit in New Zealand is Matamata, a town in the North Island, about 2 hours from Auckland. The Hobbiton movie set from Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies was created here.
The hobbit holes that were created for the movies were left there as a tourist attraction. There is also a “Welcome to Hobbiton” sign at the entrance of the town. You can take guided tours through Hobbiton which has more than 44 hobbit holes and you can hear a commentary about how Hobbiton was created.
What To Do In Matamata
- Visit Hobbiton
- Check out the Wairere Falls
- Go for a walk along the Matamata Heritage Trail
- If you’re up for a challenge then head to the Trapd Escape Room
- Try some New Zealand cheese at Kaimai Cheese in Waharoa
- Have a swim at the outdoor hot pools at Opal Hot Springs
- Check out the beautiful garden at Roam Daltons Plantation
- If it’s a rainy day, head to the Wallace Art Gallery
- Fly in a glider plane
- Visit the Te Panui Scenic Reserve
For more information on Matamata follow this link https://matamatanz.co.nz/
Oreti Beach Invercargill
One more must see filming location to visit in New Zealand is for the movie about Burt Munro, The World’s Fastest Indian, the amazing Oreti Beach.
Oreti Beach is just minutes from Invercargill’s city center.
This is a great beach for families or adrenaline junkies. It’s a great place for horse riding, riding motorcycles or 4 wheel drives, kayaking, surfing, paddle boarding, swimming and building sandcastles or just watch the stunning sunsets.
This beach is around 26kms long which is why it was a perfect place for Burt Munro to test his motorbike. Oreti beach is one of the only beaches to allow vehicles on it.
There are plenty of places to stay and cafes to have a bite at and while you are there visit the Chiaroni art gallery.
For more information visit https://southlandnz.com/invercargill/natural-attraction/oreti-beach
I guarantee you will love these locations! Do you have any plans to visit?